[Xorp-hackers] register_vif ifindex

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at ICSI.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Aug 19 21:39:27 PDT 2008

Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com> wrote:

> It seems that register_vif uses the PifIndex of another
> 'real' port in the router.  Should it perhaps use the pimreg
> port, or just have a 0 like the discard interface?

KAME-derived IPv6 kernels require that the register_vif has a valid
physical interface index, hence it is not set to 0.
Also, have in mind that the Linux-specific pimreg kernel interface
is created _after_ the MFEA's setsockopt(MRT_ADD_VIF) for the
VIFF_REGISTER multicast interface. I.e., it is not available when
MfeaNode::add_pim_register_vif() is called.

Pavlin