[Xorp-hackers] Boost.Build for XORP

Bruce M Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Sun Feb 17 14:52:57 PST 2008

Bruce M Simpson wrote:
> I've done a conversion from FTJam to Boost.Build in a private Mercurial
> branch.
> Would anyone be interested in picking up on this?

Done a bit more work on this now.

* A shared library build of XORP is now OK on FreeBSD and Linux (and
Windows Longhorn!!)

* Most regression tests are run by the unit testing framework in
Boost.Build.

 * It would be great if folk could volunteer to forward port the other
regression tests to say Python or similar, as that's OS-neutral.
Boost.Build is likely to have trouble dealing with shell scripts as they
are not as portable as Python (when Python scripts are written to be
portable, that is).

* Intel's C++ compiler appears to build the first few modules just fine
under FreeBSD, when Boost.Build is configured to use the "intel-linux"
tool seet.
 However there are regression test failures I don't have free time to
track down.

Not all of the Windows build supports DLLs. In particular there are
places where there would be circular dependencies introduced -- when
building a DLL, Windows linkers need to see the "import library" for
every other DLL which that DLL references. This can gradually be
whittled down.

Again it would be great if there were a shared Mercurial hosting space
where I could publish this as I have no cgi-bin hosting at present.

later