[Xorp-hackers] XORP on Windows questions

Bruce M Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Tue Feb 26 16:21:47 PST 2008

Jonathan Day wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Two questions on XORP on Windows. (Not my favourite
> platform, but workplace demands it.)
>
> First off, the build instructions say that the
> miminalist GNU (mingw) toolchain is required to build
> XORP. A lot of the utilities GNU provides (make,
> autoconf, bison, flex, libtools, etc), however, are
> available natively under the gnuwin32 project, but not
> everything. How much of mingw do I actually need,
> these days, to do a build?

You generally only require autoconf, bison, flex and libtool if you plan
to make changes to the source. A full MinGW and MSYS installation is
required.

> (For example, since Intel's C/C++ compiler will build
> the code, could I get away entirely with gnuwin32 and
> the Intel compiler and not use mingw at all?)

No. The use of the configure script is required. Anything other than
MinGW's gcc compiler is not supported.

> Secondly, the real killer question. XORP is only
> validated for Windows Server 2003, according to the
> website, but I need to get the code running on Windows
> CE 6.0. What is the current impression of Windows
> developers on the status of the Windows port?

Only IPv4 unicast routing is supported.

I assume by Windows CE you are referring to Windows Mobile. There is no
support for anything other than Windows Server 2003.

Progress in this area has been slow because of a lack of project funding
(or indeed patches) from interested parties.

regards