[Xorp-hackers] Limitations for multiple instances of XORP

Bruce M Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Wed Feb 27 08:46:48 PST 2008

Kaplan, Michael A wrote:

> I am running multiple instances of XORP on a single machine. I’m
> looking for some data points in regards to how many instances a system
> can handle before keeling over. Has anyone else experimented in
> running multiple XORP instances?

Haven't done this myself, although it is definitely a research topic.

A lot of work has gone into making it possible to run XORP virtual
routers for simulation purposes, and I believe this is what some of Mark
Handley's students at UCL have been involved with, perhaps they will
chime in.

What I can tell you is that the sizable runtime memory footprint is
going to have an effect -- the short answer is, try it and see. You say
nothing about the size of this machine you're running XORP on, which
XORP processes you are running, how you've built/linked them, so
anything here is pure speculation without real data.

But I've just had some coffee, so I'll wax lyrical.

ELF lazy symbol binding will probably have a negligible effect on
runtime performance, when executables are first loaded.

Sure, page sharing will be a factor at the single executable level, but
it's not the same as benchmarking the actual reduction in footprint when
shared libraries are introduced across the board, something I did last
year but haven't published.

I've done work on reducing this in build engineering land, by rototiling
for shared libraries, something which people don't seem to want to get
involved with ("Help me Obi-Wanken Autotools, you're my only hope")
judging by the burgeoning silence on the topic -- or, perhaps it's more
open source tragedy of the commons, what can we get for nothing this
week/month?

[Cue slapstick humour]

The lack of progress is understandably so, given that the quality of the
freely available tools has only recently come to the point where doing
it for a moderately sized software project such as XORP, has been
feasible, i.e. Boost.Build.

Also it qualifies as an "engineering topic", so academics don't get
rewarded for writing papers about it.

regards