[Xorp-hackers] [Xorp-users] Announcing XORP Release Candidate 1.5

Kristian Larsson kristian at spritelink.net
Tue Jul 22 10:52:49 PDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 04:20:40PM -0700, Pavlin Radoslavov wrote:
> Pavlin Radoslavov <pavlin at ICSI.Berkeley.EDU> wrote:
>
> > > I'm currently digging into BGP and ipv6 multicast routing.  Do you happen
> > > to have an updated user-guide for 1.5?  I'll be happy to help proof read
> > > and debug it for you...
>
> Ben,
>
> You can get a preliminary version of the new XORP User Manual from
> http://www.icir.org/pavlin/.private/xorp/user_manual.pdf
>
> There might be few more things that will change in the manual before
> the release, but those probably will be minor.
>
> It will be great if you (and anybody else) can provide provide
> feedback.

Having only read through half of the manual, these
are my current nitpickings... ;)

In the definitions section..
EGP is not only a term covering, basically only,
BGP but it is also a protocol of it's own. Would
be nice if that was reflected in the manual.

You write 'an user' throughout the paper while I
believe that 'a user' would be the correct
article. I bring forth evidence A ;)
http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=%22a+user%22&word2=%22an+user%22
For those seeking an explanation I found the
following two pages excellent:
http://en.allexperts.com/q/English-Second-Language-1815/vs.htm
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/esl/esliart.html
Now given that English is not my native
tongue I might be wrong..

In the OSPF section I would like to change the
router-id part, as it's not an IPv4 address, it's
rather just an 4 byte ID usually displayed in
dotted quad notation.
"The smallest IP address of an interface belonging
to the router is a good choice."
An address belonging to a loopback is probably a
better choice if available and I think 'lowest'
instead of 'smallest' is more correct, no?

page 57, source->vif section:
"The value mist be" should probably be "The value
must be", same thing in vif section.

page 61
"packets and then forwards then from one" ==>
"packets and then forwards _them_ from one"

I'll continue reading when I get home :)

Kind regards,
  Kristian.

--
Kristian Larsson                                        KLL-RIPE
Network Engineer / Internet Core        Tele2 / SWIPnet [AS1257]
+46 704 910401			              kll at spritelink.net