[Xorp-hackers] OSPF[46]...

John Tavs john.tavs at xorp.net
Fri Jul 25 10:03:50 PDT 2008

First, let me introduce myself.

My name is John Tavs and I am new VP of Engineering for XORP.

Clearly my first challenge is to get more people working on the XORP
project and that is where I am focusing my time right now.

One of the persons I am planning to bring in  someone that can
implement what network admins need for a successful XORP deployment.

And that person will reach out to those who are using XORP to learn
from the experience of the community.

Regards,
      John Tavs
       john.tavs at xorp.net

On Jul 25, 2008, at 9:22 AM, Kristian Larsson wrote:

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 03:10:45PM +0100, Bruce M Simpson wrote:
> Kristian,
>
> I understand your frustration, but, well, it boils down to the same
> thing in any sphere of human endeavour -- those who do things,
> invariably end up steering where those things go, and there's no
> substitute for rolling one's sleeves up and getting involved.

In any successful company you will find people
specialized in their field. Being a programmer
means you write code, not necessarily designing a
user interface. Anyway, I understand your point
although it makes me wonder if the XORP project is
at all interested in what its few users have to
say about it.

> Kristian Larsson wrote:
>> The ambition of course being to help XORP into
>> world domination. Not being a programmer has
>> proven to be somewhat of an obstacle - I've spent
>> countless hours going through XORP code and
>> eventually just giving up on whatever I had set
>> out to do. Coding isn't my ballgame, so what can I
>> do to help?
>>

> I've been working on a means to build XORP processes (of any kind) in
> Python.
>
> Trouble is, I don't have a lot of free time to work on it, although
> the
> idea is pretty clear -- make it possible for people to script things
> more readily in a language which is hopefully more accessible.
>
> Maybe that will help?

Well, I wouldn't want my BGP daemon written in
Python, but for a lot of the other stuff, setting
hostname, AAA stuff and so forth I sure think XORP
could benefit from being able to write stuff in
python or some other scripting dialect.
I mostly code in Perl, but I'd have no problem
taking on Python for the sake of writing some XORP
thingy.

Regards,
   Kristian.

--
Kristian Larsson                                        KLL-RIPE
Network Engineer / Internet Core        Tele2 / SWIPnet [AS1257]
+46 704 910401			              kll at spritelink.net