[Xorp-hackers] Patches to support multiple multi-cast routing tables in Linux & Xorp

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Sat Jun 7 10:14:14 PDT 2008

Bruce M Simpson wrote:
> Ben,
>
> Ben Greear wrote:
>> I just made a successful transfer between two ports on
>> a virtual router using the attached patches to xorp
>> and the 2.6.25 linux kernel.
>> The kernel at least, still has locking bugs, if nothing
>> else.
>> I also will probably remove the char unused[32] members
>> from the API structs.
>
> I'm glad to hear you have made progress, but frankly I'm a bit scared
> that if we took this code, we'd be dragging an old API along with new
> functionality.
>
> Granted, folk closer to the MROUTING code might not have free time in
> the interim to make the necessary changes for future-proofing the
> code, but I hope you would consider taking this on, it makes it that
> much more likely that we would be able to take the code in XORP.
I have no commit privs, and I already have a large backlog of patches
that are waiting for review/integration
when you all have time.  My merges are hard enough without trying to
completely re-architect a subsystem that
I don't really know much about to begin with.  Also, my changes are
backwards compatible, so there is small
risk in adding them as they are.

So, for now, I'm going to stick with the minimal changes needed to get
it working.

I have yet to work on dynamic changes for multicast (adding/deleting
vifs, etc), so I may yet end up
working on larger amounts of that code...