[Xorp-hackers] heavy CPU use for xorp_fea on startup

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Tue Mar 4 11:32:32 PST 2008

I am trying to start 30 xorp instances on a system with
around 600 interfaces (vlans and such).  My hardware has lots
of RAM and a quad-core CPU, but it still takes more than the 10
second keep-alive timeout to get xorp_fea initialized (it seems
to be reading large numbers of netlink messages).  This causes
continual xorp restarts since the timeout fails.

I tried throttling so that I only started one xorp per 5
seconds, and it still times out.

I'm going to experiment with increasing the keep-alive timer,
but I am curious if there are better alternatives.

*  Maybe don't start keep-alive polling until fea finalizes it's
   initialization?

*  Maybe have fea answer keep-alives *while* it's initializing itself?

*  Optimize fea to only probe info for devices it is configured to
    care about?

Suggestions are welcome.