[Xorp-hackers] Limitations for multiple instances of XORP

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at ICSI.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Mar 4 12:40:30 PST 2008

> What I can tell you is that the sizable runtime memory footprint is
> going to have an effect -- the short answer is, try it and see. You say
> nothing about the size of this machine you're running XORP on, which
> XORP processes you are running, how you've built/linked them, so
> anything here is pure speculation without real data.
>
> But I've just had some coffee, so I'll wax lyrical.
>
> ELF lazy symbol binding will probably have a negligible effect on
> runtime performance, when executables are first loaded.
>
> Sure, page sharing will be a factor at the single executable level, but
> it's not the same as benchmarking the actual reduction in footprint when
> shared libraries are introduced across the board, something I did last
> year but haven't published.
>
> I've done work on reducing this in build engineering land, by rototiling
> for shared libraries, something which people don't seem to want to get
> involved with ("Help me Obi-Wanken Autotools, you're my only hope")
> judging by the burgeoning silence on the topic -- or, perhaps it's more
> open source tragedy of the commons, what can we get for nothing this
> week/month?

Yes, we agree that we want to start using shared libraries.
One of the motivation for the autotools refactoring/upgrade in XORP
was to make this transition easier. The main obstacle is scheduling
the transition and getting the cycles for the actual switch.