[Xorp-hackers] Query regarding IPv6 code

Jonathan Day imipak at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 5 17:12:58 PST 2008

I've been trying to compile XORP on a box that doesn't
have IPv6 enabled. So, naturally, I told configure to
disable IPv6.

Turns out that there's a number of places where there
are unguarded uses of IPv6 defines and types. These
crash when compiling on a system that doesn't have
these defined, for obvious reasons.

Now, the two questions I'd like to throw out there
are:

1) Is this just my box, or is this repeatable?
2) If it is repeatable, is it better to fix this by
placing guards (#ifdef) around the IPv6 code, -or- by
having a set of dummy IPv6 headers?

(If the IPv6 functions are all going to fall out in
the wash, dummy headers would mean fewer changes to
mainline code, which means less risk of introducing
bugs and fewer preprocessor commands. On the other
hand, guarding is closer to being what you actually
want.)

Jonathan