[Xorp-hackers] FEA & interfaces

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Wed Mar 12 10:31:43 PDT 2008

I am continuing to try to optimize FEA to perform better
when there are lots of interfaces in the system.

Currently, it seems fea reads in all interfaces (and does so many
times, especially when there is a commit).  When one has hundreds or
thousands of interfaces in the system, but only wants FEA (that xorp
instance as a whole) to manage 15 of them, this becomes a very large
amount of overhead.

So, a question:

  Is there any chance fea could be modified somewhat easily to
  take a list of interfaces from the xorp config and only read/write
  those interfaces (and ignore all others)?

I am going to start poking at this code myself, but if someone has
suggestions for places to pay special attention to, please do let
me know.