[Xorp-hackers] Patch to get rid of two system calls per asyncio send.

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Thu Mar 20 10:24:46 PDT 2008

Pavlin Radoslavov wrote:
> Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com> wrote:
>

>> Asyncio was disabling and enabling SIGPIPE for each send.  At least on Linux
>> (and probably BSD), we can use MSG_NOSIGNAL in most cases.  Attached is a patch
>> that implements this.  Not specifically benchmarked, but it's always good to
>> get rid of
>> extra system calls...
>>

> I agree that we should get rid of extra system calls.
> However, this part of the code is very critical and we want to be
> very careful with it (e.g., it has been changed by a number of
> people in the past and it might be quite fragile).
> Said that, please add it to Bugzilla.

Maybe open a slight 'unstable' period to merge the riskier patches and
let us all
do the testing from a common CVS?  If the patches remain in bugz, very few
people are actually going to be able to test the code, and if my code
tree diverges
too much from CVS, then it will become merge hell for me, and my testing
will not be as useful for the general Xorp community.