[Xorp-hackers] FEA performance improvements: only 'pull' active interfaces.

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at ICSI.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Mar 20 10:37:59 PDT 2008

> My patch continues to get larger...I added code yesterday to filter on
> route-table
> updates (listening to only the routing-table entries that Xorp is
> configured to use, when it
> is configured to use a specific routing table).

That's good. Please add this to the patch you are going to place in
Bugzilla.

> With all of this in place, fea now seems pretty efficient, or at least
> ospf and
> rtr-mgr are more visible in 'top' much of the time in my scenario.
>
> I also notice about 5 get-time-of-day (or equiv) calls per loop in fea
> and ospf.
> I'm guessing I can get rid of a bunch of those as well, which should
> also help
> improve performance more.

Those gettimeofday() are in the eventloop. I should warn you that
removing some of those might be tricky, and that this part of the
code also has been rewritten a number of times.