[Xorp-hackers] Java processes

Bruce M Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Thu Mar 20 10:41:23 PDT 2008

Selçuk Cevher wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am just a beginner on XORP software development.
> I am trying to create a new XORP process which will communicate with
> some other existing XORP processes such as RIB.
> Based on what I have read so far, it seems like we are only allowed to
> create processes using C++.
> Is it possible to create a Java process and make it communicate in an
> efficient way to an existing XORP process such as RIB or XorpRtrMgr ?

This is something we want to address, because we believe users should
not be limited to using C++ for implementing routing processes.

At the moment, the XRL layer, libxipc, and the XRL client stub
libraries, make the assumption that you are using C++. This is because
of how callbacks are implemented and dispatched, leaving aside the type
conversion issues.

I did some initial research in this area, using Python as the target
language, and SWIG to generate the callback stubs.

SWIG will get you as far as building proxy classes for your chosen
target language -- I made trivial changes to the clnt-gen and tgt-gen
scripts to generate SWIG .i files.

However, I haven't gotten my head around typemaps or how those can be
used to deal with the callback problem, and documentation for these
features in SWIG seems incomplete and hazy to me.

later