[Xorp-hackers] Patch to get rid of two system calls per asyncio send.

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at ICSI.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Mar 20 11:04:36 PDT 2008

Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com> wrote:

> Pavlin Radoslavov wrote:
> > Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com> wrote:
> >

> >> Asyncio was disabling and enabling SIGPIPE for each send.  At least on Linux
> >> (and probably BSD), we can use MSG_NOSIGNAL in most cases.  Attached is a patch
> >> that implements this.  Not specifically benchmarked, but it's always good to
> >> get rid of
> >> extra system calls...
> >>

> > I agree that we should get rid of extra system calls.
> > However, this part of the code is very critical and we want to be
> > very careful with it (e.g., it has been changed by a number of
> > people in the past and it might be quite fragile).
> > Said that, please add it to Bugzilla.
> >
> Maybe open a slight 'unstable' period to merge the riskier patches and
> let us all
> do the testing from a common CVS?  If the patches remain in bugz, very few
> people are actually going to be able to test the code, and if my code
> tree diverges
> too much from CVS, then it will become merge hell for me, and my testing
> will not be as useful for the general Xorp community.

OK, given that the patch is relatively small, please try to clean it
up by eliminating the extra #ifdef and try to see if you can reduce
the code duplication when using different system calls.
I will make it a high priority for me to double-check and commit the
patch, and will leave it to the community to test it :)