[Xorp-hackers] Doubt on VLAN implementation

Suresh Kannan sureshkannan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 03:02:50 PDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 1:39 PM, Bruce M Simpson <bms at incunabulum.net>
wrote:

> Suresh Kannan wrote:
> > Hi Bruce & all,
> >
> > interface foo {
> > vif vlan 10.200 {
> > }
> >
> > Is the above syntax makes clear view for QinQ support ?.
> >

> That was on the tip of my tongue, but I didn't dare speak it, because in
> some implementations, fooXX.YY can be used to mean "VLAN YY on interface
> fooXX".
>
> So I've been wary of using a period as a delimiter for the vlan term,
> given that overloaded meanings quickly lead to problems for network
> engineers during deployment, and it makes sense to make things easier
> for your user base.

delimiter can be anything; need not be period. May be supporting flexibility
in delimiter (at some extend) makes good for various user base.

> (Yes, I'd like to just get the damn bikeshed painted so the code can
> happen...)
>
> Even once we solve this simple problem of how to invoke a thing, we are
> left with the problem of the manifestation of the thing. Currently XORP
> knows how to make VLANs for Linux and FreeBSD, and to deal with that in
> the FEA block's syntax.

This is interesting part i yet to peek into. Is there any plan to extend
XORP towards switching platform?. As above mentioned, XORP understand VLAN
for linux and its mac-based. Implementing XORP for learning of MACS and
other L2 functions, would help people to try out switching side and would
explore possibilites of MPLS/Metro oriented use cases as BMS mentioned.

> Juniper has a very specific syntax for dual-tagging:
>
> http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos90/swconfig-network-interfaces/flexible-vlan-tagging.html#id-13039477

having tpid.vlanid is looks good. but do user need to specify always when
the configure?.

interface foo {
  vif vlan 10.200 {
    inner-tpid 0x9100 /* only if user want to over-ride the default (0x8100)
settings */
  }
}

Thanks,