[Xorp-hackers] problem regarding autotools

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at ICSI.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Mar 26 08:24:25 PDT 2008

> I recently added a new XRL interface (.xif file) into xrl/interfaces folder,
> and properly modified Makefile.am in that folder.
> After running bootstrap and then ./configure
> scripts at the top-level of the XORP tree to regenerate Makefile from
> the most recent Makefile.in, I ran
>  gmake in xrl/interfaces folder. I had to use gmake with option -k to
> get the .hh and .cc files (stub code for the caller) for the newly added
> interface. libtool that
> XORP package uses seems to be an old version since I got the error
> message " libtool: unrecognized option `--tag=CXX' " when I used
> gmake. I got the .cc and .hh files now but it did not build the .lo
> and .o files regarding the new XRL interface.
>
> Below are the versions of autotools currently used:
>
> automake (GNU automake) 1.9.6
> autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.59
> ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.5.22 (1.1220.2.365 2005/12/18 22:14:06)

The XORP autotools setup is configured and tested only with the
following versions (listed in README):

    - autoconf version 2.61
    - automake version 1.10
    - libtool version 1.5.24

Number of things change between major versions of
autoconf/automake/libtool, so you should install versions that are
as close as possible to those listed above (e.g., the libtool-1.5.22
you have might be OK, but you should update autoconf and automake).

Regards,