[Xorp-hackers] multicast routing entry

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at ICSI.Berkeley.EDU
Tue May 6 09:23:16 PDT 2008

>      All routing entries are stored in RIB ,which are given by
>  RIP,OSPF, and BGP.
>  I want to know which protocol is giving multicast routing entries
>  to RIB .Is it BGP ?.And , how it is forming MRIB?

In principle, the unicast routing protocols should populate directly
the MRIB (e.g., by using configuration statements when needed so).
In fact, all "add_route" XRLs from those protocols have two flags:
unicast and multicast; if the multicast flag is set then the route
will be added to the MRIB.

Currently we don't have the configuration statement support to set
the multicast flag and populate directly the MRIB (we intend to add
that in the future).
For now we use the help of the fib2mrib module which gets the
unicast routes from the kernel (via the FEA) and injects them into
the MRIB. This is why if you need multicast routing in XORP you must
enable fib2mrib.

Hope that helps,