[Xorp-hackers] New consolidated Xorp performance improvement patch uploaded.

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Fri May 9 05:47:50 PDT 2008

Bruce M Simpson wrote:
> Ben,
>
> Thanks for this.
>
> I'm afraid we can't take it as is, but, Pavlin has made some changes
> to the FEA which fix a number of bugs, and which may address some of
> the issues you were seeing.
>
> The RTA_TABLE stuff looks interesting and useful, do you plan to
> forward port this to the HEAD revision?
Yes, I plan to port everything to HEAD, and drop whatever is fixed by
Pavlin's fixes.  When I get something
working again, I'll post it.
> Ben Greear wrote:
>> For anyone interested in my patch to improve performance of xorp
>> when used with lots of xorp instances on a single machine, I have
>> just merged with the latest cvs and uploaded it here:
>>
>> http://www.candelatech.com/oss/ben_xorp.patch
>>
>> This patch contains other changes as well..they work well for me,
>> but it's possible they would be detrimental to other uses.  Please
>> let me know how it works for you if any of you try it.
>>

> The RIB shouldn't really be setting the admin distance for
> static_routes at all.
>
> Please see OLSR for an example of a protocol which registers its admin
> distance with the RIB using an XRL during startup.
My hack works for me (and is small and easy to keep merged)..but I'll
gladly drop it if someone adds the ability to do it right.

> P.S. __PRETTY_FUNCTION__ is gcc specific. I've been looking at it for
> some debugging stuff, but we would discourage its use in the main code
> base -- it really needs to be guarded with a macro.

It would be easy enough to #define it to something similar for non-gcc
compilers...no need to remove useful functionality
for the majority of the target platforms just because some don't support
a feature...