[Xorp-hackers] New consolidated Xorp performance improvement patch uploaded.

Bruce M Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Sat May 10 12:10:53 PDT 2008

Kristian Larsson wrote:
> Will it be possible to set administrative distance
> per route? This is _very_ useful for having
> floating static routes.

OK, I just spent some moments reading code. If someone writes a patch to
implement floating statics, I'm happy to review it, it's not on my plate
at the moment.

It's certainly possible, as the admin distance is part of each route
entry in the RIB; the per-route admin distance is used in comparisons
whenever a route table change happens, when the RIB is deciding which
route to replace.

It is gnarly in that it means manipulating the admin distance on a
per-route basis, which is a use case which neither the XRLs nor the
static_routes syntax are set up to deal with. The code to do this would
need to be added. The XRLs to add/replace routes are specialized for
interface routes, I see no reason why they couldn't be specialized for
adding/changing a route with admin distance.

cheers
BMS

[P.S. The thing with floating statics is: there's something of a case
for implementing them in the host's forwarding plane too, as they are
very useful for folk who are hot swapping network interfaces and don't
have a need to run a full routing daemon.
I've been thinking about doing same for FreeBSD. The disadvantage for
XORP in doing it that way, however, is that the FEA would need to be
taught to look for host based floating statics and update its state
appropriately.]