[Xorp-hackers] CVS diff in the automated email?

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at ICSI.Berkeley.EDU
Sun May 11 15:16:45 PDT 2008

Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com> wrote:

> Any chance you'd like to add a cvs diff to each of the
> auto-generated CVS checkin emails?  That would help
> keep track of what patches are going into the kernel...

The model for our CVS log messages is based on the
FreeBSD/NetBSD/OpenBSD model.

Including all the diffs is going to add too much overhead to the
mailing list.
Typically people want to follow what kind of changes are happening
(based on the commit messages), and only if they care about the
implemenation details they run "cvs diff".

Personally I do "cvs diff" for every changed file and I still rather
do it by hand instead of reading a potentially very long email.
If you'd like I can send you the simple but unpolished shell script
that prints the last cvs diff for a file. Nothing fancy but it does
the job.

Pavlin