[Xorp-hackers] Multiple multicast routing table support

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Wed May 21 08:33:47 PDT 2008

Bruce M Simpson wrote:
> Ben Greear wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> I'm considering adding multiple multicast routing table support to
>> xorp.  I believe this will
>> require Linux kernel changes and possibly some API changes when
>> talking to the kernel.
>>

> To be honest there are other issues in the multicast area which would
> need to be resolved before multiple MFIB support is worth considering.
>
> If you look at the Linux implementation, it more or less follows the
> MROUTING code from BSD Net/3 pretty closely. Both Linux and FreeBSD
> have these issues.
>
> One of the issues there is that there is a 32 vif limit. The limit is
> tied to the API and the implementation. There are also other issues
> with multicast-specific socket options being handled in the raw socket
> path, when they belong elsewhere.
>
> There is also a case for moving multicast route handling into the
> unicast FIB code, but keeping the MFIB(s) logically distinct from the
> unicast FIB(s).
I'm guessing there may need to be some new API to support multiple
kernel routing tables anyway, so it might be a good
time to clean up cruft from the old API.  For my particular need, 32 VIF
per xorp instance will not be a problem, but
I'm certainly willing to help remove this limitation while working on
the rest of the virtualization.

I, or someone working with me, can do the Linux kernel portion, and of
course I can probably muck with Xorp as well.

But, if someone else wants to help lead the xorp issue, or at least poke
me in the right direction and review patches,
that will free up more of my time to deal with the kernel.