[Xorp-hackers] PIM-SM4: Cand-RP and Cand-BSR Inconsistency

Samuel Lucas Vaz de Mello samuellucas at datacom.ind.br
Wed Oct 22 14:58:41 PDT 2008

Hi!

I'm playing around with pimsm4 and found a strange behavior that seems to be a bug.

To reproduce it, first add a cand-rp for any group-prefix and commit. Then, add a cand-bsr for the same group-prefix. When trying to commit I got the following error:

102 Command failed Cannot add configure BSR with vif eth0 address 10.1.3.11 for zone 224.0.0.0/4(non-scoped): already have scope zone 224.0.0.0/4(non-scoped)

samuellucas at erdinger# set protocols pimsm4 bootstrap cand-rp group-prefix 224.0.0.0/4 cand-rp-by-vif-name eth0
[edit]
samuellucas at erdinger# commit
OK
[edit]
samuellucas at erdinger# set protocols pimsm4 bootstrap cand-bsr scope-zone 224.0.0.0/4 cand-bsr-by-vif-name eth0
[edit]
samuellucas at erdinger# commit
Commit Failed
102 Command failed Cannot add configure BSR with vif eth0 address 10.1.3.11 for zone 224.0.0.0/4(non-scoped): already have scope zone 224.0.0.0/4(non-scoped)[edit]
samuellucas at erdinger#

In the code I found that PimNode::add_config_cand_rp adds a BSR zone when adding the RP and add_config_cand_bsr fails when finds this added zone. Also, this zone is not visible in the configuration tree (otherwise xorpsh/rtrmgr would have handled this as a modification in a existing cand-bsr, which works fine).

I'm wondering what would be the best way to handle this.
There are a few options: We can replace the automatically created zone with the user provided one, we can report the zone to rtrmgr/xorpsh or we can reuse the created zone and merge the changes, if possible.

What do you recommend?

BTW, after writing a patch how do I submit it? Just mail it to this list?

Thank you,

 - Samuel