[Xorp-hackers] PIM-SM4: Cand-RP and Cand-BSR Inconsistency

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at ICSI.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Oct 22 17:57:27 PDT 2008

Samuel Lucas Vaz de Mello <samuellucas at datacom.ind.br> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm playing around with pimsm4 and found a strange behavior that seems to be a bug.
>
> To reproduce it, first add a cand-rp for any group-prefix and commit. Then, add a cand-bsr for the same group-prefix. When trying to commit I got the following error:
>
> 102 Command failed Cannot add configure BSR with vif eth0 address 10.1.3.11 for zone 224.0.0.0/4(non-scoped): already have scope zone 224.0.0.0/4(non-scoped)

> samuellucas at erdinger# set protocols pimsm4 bootstrap cand-rp group-prefix 224.0.0.0/4 cand-rp-by-vif-name eth0
> [edit]
> samuellucas at erdinger# commit
> OK
> [edit]
> samuellucas at erdinger# set protocols pimsm4 bootstrap cand-bsr scope-zone 224.0.0.0/4 cand-bsr-by-vif-name eth0
> [edit]
> samuellucas at erdinger# commit
> Commit Failed
> 102 Command failed Cannot add configure BSR with vif eth0 address 10.1.3.11 for zone 224.0.0.0/4(non-scoped): already have scope zone 224.0.0.0/4(non-scoped)[edit]
> samuellucas at erdinger#

I need to double-check with the PIM BSR spec, but I think that
224.0.0.0/4 has special meaning (it is the "global" zone) and cannot
be configured as a scoped zone.
Hence, the behavior is correct, though the error could be more user
friendly.

If you think the above statement is incorrect, then please submit a
Bugzilla entry about the issue. For the time being no need to write
a patch, until we know it is actually a bug :)