[Xorp-hackers] BSR Restart

Samuel Lucas Vaz de Mello samuellucas at datacom.ind.br
Thu Oct 30 06:16:42 PDT 2008

Pavlin Radoslavov wrote:
> However, I have to admit that I didn't look into the details of what
> you are doing when the BSR is restarted, so I cannot comment whether
> it is the right thing or whether something is missing.
> I intend to do this in the future, but unfortunately I cannot do
> this right now (see below).
>
> Currently we are in the process of code freeze, so I am afraid
> this fix has to wait (strictly speaking it is an
> optimization so it is not critical).
> In the mean time please have a look in my refactoring of your patch
> in case I messed-up something.. If it is OK for you and if it works,
> please create a Bugzilla entry about the issue, and add that patch
> to the entry. Thus we can track its status, update the patch, etc.

I think we need also the rest of bsr_stop(), the parts that sends the Cand-RP-Adv with zero holdtime and BSR Message with lowest priority if i'm not the elected bsr for the zone. This is needed to keep the current behavior for non-elected zones, but would duplicate the whole code, that's why I choosed to change bsr_start()/bsr_stop().

As this patch is target for the next version, maybe we should try a more intrusive approach making the configuration commands change also the active state and get rid of the restarts.

How long will the code freeze last? What is the release schedule for Xorp 1.6?

Regards,

 - Samuel