[Xorp-hackers] Patch to fix issue with interface removal and multicast.

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at ICSI.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Sep 2 16:33:54 PDT 2008

> I think the basic problem is that pieces of xorp expect that it
> knows the state of the OS, when in fact it can only know the *preferred*
> state at any given time.
>
> For instance, if I tell xorp to enable multicast on eth4, and eth4
> does not currently exist, it should not fail the commit but remember
> the config and apply it if eth4 ever does come into existence.  The
> only time a commit should fail is if the requested config is logically
> incorrect regardless of the current state of the OS's interfaces.

Agree. The multicast code's interface/vif handling is overdue for
refactoring. Once the refactoring is done, the interface
appearing/disappearing should be handled properly.
You might want to add your paragraph above as well to the Bugzilla
entry.

Pavlin