[Xorp-hackers] Multiple protocol instances within the same process.

RTP Techie rtp.techie at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 17:04:17 PDT 2008

Xorp-Hackers,

I saw a discussion on running multiple instances/processes of the same
protocol within the same host machine.

But I was interested in running multiple instances of the same protocols
within the same processes.  Like within OSPFv2 process, I would want to run
50 ospfv2 routing engines.

They should be just interdependent instances and don't need to know each
other and only learn about each other through the normal protocols
interactions. The reason is that I want to emulate a network instead of just
a distributed router. If I'm trying to run 50 or even few hundreds processes
on my system, it won't be the desired operations.

I know that it is not the model that is currently supported, but I want to
get some directions as where/how to start.  Just reading the design
documents, the first thing that I see the issue is the XLR target. From what
I can tell, a target is associated wit the process, in order words, I cannot
address a particular instance within the process.

Beside that from the OSPF or any protocol implementation point of view,
would there is any issue as well?

Any thoughts/suggestions/pointers will be appreciated.

Thanks,

RT