[Xorp-hackers] Fwd: [Xorp-users] how FEA interacts with underlying forwarding plane?

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Fri Apr 24 02:32:57 PDT 2009

sharda saiwan wrote:

> i want to run FEA and the forwarding plane on different machines (as
> per my understanding its not possible in the current version), what
> changes need to be done in FEA??

That's not possible; the FEA process is the one responsible for
communicating with the forwarding plane -- decoupling the FEA and
forwarding plane makes no sense in the XORP model, as the FEA's role is
to encapsulate the forwarding plane in a way which the other XORP
processes can communicate with.

I can't speak for the specifics of Click, though, I am under the
impression it also has to run on the same node.

thanks,