[Xorp-hackers] Problem in sending multicast traffic

Chintan Shah schintan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 14:01:44 PDT 2009

Hi,

I am having a problem in sending multicast traffic in our testbed.
The testbed consists of five linux machines running xorp in the ring
topology.

A<->B<->C<->D<->E<->A

I am trying to send multicast traffic from
router A to router B.  I am doing this by running a video multicast
application (vic )on router A itself.
The receiving vic client is also on the same machine that is router B.

Each of the machines also has a third interface that is connected to the
external network.
This default gateway is through this interface. When I run xorp and try to
send the multicast traffic ,
it always goes through the default gateway on the sender side and is
received through
the external interface on the receiver side.
Since I dont want the multicast traffic to go through this interface while
running experiments, I disabled these external interfaces.
This also results in  having no default gateway on the routers.

Now when I start xorp on all routers and start the application on the sender
side, I get the following error message.

setsockopt: IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP : No such device

I think there is no entry in the routing table and the traffic is sent to
the default interface and since that is not present , I get this error.
I checked that the multicast routing and PIM-SM are enabled in the kernel.
Also the interfaces
support multicast.  I am not sure if it is alright to have the router itself
send and receive the multicast traffic with respect to IGMP messages.
Is it necessary to have an external machine to send and receive multicast
traffic connected to routers A and B. ?
Or is there is something else that I am missing.?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Chintan.

P.S

The configuration file is as below:

interfaces {
    interface my_discard {
        unreachable: true
        vif my_discard {
        }
    }

        /*interface "br1" {
        vif "br1" {
            address 10.1.1.1 {
                prefix-length: 24
            }
        }
    } */

    interface "eth2" {
        vif "eth2" {
            address 192.168.6.2 {
                prefix-length: 24
            }
        }
    }

    interface "eth0" {
        vif "eth0" {
            address 192.168.2.2 {
                prefix-length: 24
            }
        }
    }
}

fea {
    unicast-forwarding4 {
        disable: false
    }
}

protocols {
    static {
        interface-route 0.0.0.0/0 {
            next-hop-interface: "my_discard"
            next-hop-vif: "my_discard"
        }
    }

    ospf4 {
        router-id: 127.1.0.2
        area 0.0.0.0 {
            interface "eth2" {
                vif "eth2" {
                    address 192.168.6.2 {
                       interface-cost: 1
                    }
                }
            }
            interface "eth0" {
                vif "eth0" {
                    address 192.168.2.2 {
                       interface-cost: 1
                    }
                }
            }
        } /* area */

       /* traceoptions {
            flag all {
                disable: false
            }
        } */
    }

fib2mrib {
        disable: false
    }

igmp {
        disable: false
      /*  interface "br1" {
            vif "br1" {
                disable: false
                version: 2
                enable-ip-router-alert-option-check: false
                query-interval: 125
                query-last-member-interval: 1
                query-response-interval: 10
                robust-count: 2

[...]