[Xorp-hackers] RPATH issues almost fully resolved

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Wed Dec 2 03:37:01 PST 2009

Bruce Simpson wrote:

>> Dealing with RPATH is a dog. $ORIGIN support didn't get merged to
>> FreeBSD 7, that would be the real answer.
>>

> It's in FreeBSD 8, but I'm still waiting to hear from kib@ if a backport
> is feasible or not.

He cut a patch for me last night, I tested it, it's cool.

I just checked in a patch to set a relative RPATH across the tree, using
$ORIGIN. This is still not enabled by default, because it would break
the tools/ shipped with each protocol.

It does however provide some much needed flexibility -- most of the
binaries should now run without having to install them first; a major
downside, in the beginning, with SCons' approach.

libtool spoils us devil children, but as I noticed on the Win32 port, it
does a lot behind your back sometimes which you don't want happening as
a developer.

The $ORIGIN change should also make it easier for us to relocate the
XORP package, and add new stuff. More on that now.

What I plan to do pretty soon, on the 1.7 dragnet, is to make the
package layout closer to the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS).
There's some stuff in GNU, and in BSD, which the FHS touches on; it's an
agnostic blend of all them.

That should, however, help out folk immensely, who may intend to
redistribute or ship XORP packages in their OS distributions.

cheers,