[Xorp-hackers] End-of-life on Windows support in XORP community branch

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Thu Dec 3 13:40:08 PST 2009

Hi,

No-one has come forward to support the Windows port, so I'm going to
de-orbit burn it for 1.7.

I've got patches lined up to do this. This should make life a bit easier
for developers.

Now that Windows 7 has finally been released, it should be a bit easier
for someone to look at their new APIs. Windows IPv6 support, for
example, is a bit more mature now.

In any event, the Windows related changes will be in SVN change history,
as well as the old release tarballs.

A from-scratch approach might be good. The hardest part of porting XORP
to Windows, was in tricking Winsock to give us packets without having to
use service threads.

cheers,