[Xorp-hackers] Installing tests

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Fri Dec 4 04:48:52 PST 2009

Ben Greear wrote:
> I routinely build on one system and test on others.  It would be nice to have
> an option to install the tests.  Think you could add an scons argument to allow
> that?

I can see that it would be a good feature to have in some situations,
but I'm afraid I can't do this just at the moment.

I will most likely fix the tests in libxipc so I can baseline the
upcoming Thrift code, I can make no promises above and beyond that.

My priority at the moment is to get XORP running again. Making the FHS
changes has broken the Router Manager temporarily, while I sort out all
the new paths. So I really need to focus on finishing that before
thinking about enhancements.

The work I did on porting the regression tests to the SCons build, was
just intended to be 'good enough' to get going. XORP's regression tests
are actually pretty tied to the 'gmake check' way of doing things, and
it's hardly a portable or particularly great test framework. Python's
UnitTest beats the pants off it, and CxxTest is the closest I've seen in
the C++ world.

In the meantime, you could implement this by adding
env.Alias('install-check', [ ... install actions ... ]) in the
SConscripts for the tests. However, the RPATH is not guaranteed to be
correct for a shared build. It might be an idea to add a separate
PathVariable() in the top-level SConstruct to tell it where to put the
tests.

Hope this helps.

cheers,