[Xorp-hackers] Compile failure on Fedora 12 due to cpp differences.

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Fri Dec 11 02:22:30 PST 2009

Ben Greear wrote:
> It seems that on Fedora 12, cpp doesn't concatenate lines that end with \
> into a single line.  And, it strips the \ so that the python code supposed
> to deal with concatenation fails to do it's job.

This sounds like a bug in cpp. I can't find the relevant change in the
GCC 4.4.2 changelog:
    http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.4/changes.html

This seems to be new and undocumented behaviour which has affected other
software projects:
 http://old.nabble.com/build-from-source-fails-on-fedora-12-%28with-gcc-4.4.2%29-td26021661.html

> Bruce:  Let me know what you think on this...I don't want to change
> all the files unless you are going to do the same so that merge
> conflicts are not so beastly.

Which files were specifically affected by this change?

If you tell the invocation of CPP affected to use the '-P' option, does
this resolve the issue?

thanks,