[Xorp-hackers] PIM: dependency of Register-Stop from switch-to-spt?

Atis Elsts atis at mikrotik.com
Mon Dec 14 06:45:31 PST 2009

Hello list,

Under what conditions the Register-Stop message should be sent?

Judging by the source code in function PimVif::pim_register_recv() it is done
on when switch-to-spt-threshold is enabled.

Is that what it is intended to be, and why? I thought that the advancement to
Register-Stop phase was independent from advancement to SPT phase (except
that the first is a precondition for the second)?

Also, despite a comment in the function (file pim_proto_register.cc, line 306)
I have never managed to see register encapsulation being stopped if
switch-threshold in bytes is something other than 0.

Using XORP version 1.5 on Linux 2.6.31.

Atis