[Xorp-hackers] The XrlPFSender race

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Sun Dec 27 11:09:49 PST 2009

Hey guys,

I realize it's the winter break at the moment, and many of us may not be
actively working over this period. Nevertheless, this is just a ping to
say...

On 17/12/2009 16:51, Bruce Simpson wrote:
> Attached is a patch which compiles, and passes a 'scons check'. If you
> guys could test further, that would be great.

...this is a patch intended to address the XrlPFSender race condition in
XRL which Ben Greear found, intended to be clear in intent, as well as
being the first XORP change which starts making wider use of the Boost
C++ Libraries.

     Li Zhao ran into it too, and the seed for seeing this race
condition manifest seems to be a high system load factor, either due to
being run on an embedded target platform with less CPU horsepower, or in
a situation creating high system load, e.g. multiple processes in Ben's
virtualization branch.

     I've given the patch some basic testing in a router instance on my
desktop, and it passes regression tests. It would be great to get test
feedback from yourselves with this patch -- I would much prefer that it
sees wider testing before it gets committed.

Thanks again, and enjoy your winter break,