[Xorp-hackers] TCP sockets and packet splitting

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Tue Jun 9 00:31:47 PDT 2009

Bruce Simpson wrote:
> With most TCP/IP implementations, the MTU of the loopback interface
> will be 65535 bytes. As you probably know already, the segment size
> used by a TCP session is going to be negotiated upfront during the 3
> way handshake.

Sorry, I meant to say 16384 bytes here (at least, that's the default in
FreeBSD). It can usually be tweaked upwards.

In any event, whilst the MTU of the loopback interface will affect XORP
XRL IPC transport, the loopback MTU is *usually* sufficiently large not
to cause problems with the socket4.xif, unless you are attempting to
send IPv6 jumbograms.

cheers,