[Xorp-hackers] hello

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Thu Jun 18 02:27:56 PDT 2009

Hi Jonathan,

Welcome to the list...

Jonathan Creasy wrote:
> Not having read any archives, I have no idea if anything like this has
> been brought up. I have been kicking around a project of a load
> balancer with good SIP support and also a "router like" interface for
> a SIP proxy like Kamailio. Your architecture looks like adding a
> module, or process, to handle modifying the configuration and
> operation of a Kamailio process running on a box along side Xorp would
> be a pretty elegant way to do that.

VRRP was added in the 1.6 community release, that should help with the
load balancing story we hope...

There is no reason why the XORP code base couldn't support VOIP as an
application, but, the framework probably needs more thought, see below.

> Is there interest in adding such functionality to your system? I'm not
> sure I'm up for the task (I'm a weak C++ programmer) but myself and a
> couple of other guys might be interested in taking on that as a
> project but I just thought I'd query this group and introduce myself
> first.

I'm kicking about some ideas about how to improve the XORP situation
with regards to software componentry right now with JT Conklin.

One of the major limitations of XRL is that it's tied to the XORP code
base, and tied to C++ because of how event callbacks work.

So we are evaluating new ideas, i.e. Facebook Thrift, AMQP, and CORBA.
Component messages are also perhaps not the right IPC mechanism in all
situations, particularly where massive amounts of structured data are
involved -- i.e. a full BGP routing table.

AMQP is particularly interesting as an RPC transport, because of how it
makes it possible to build service clusters. There is an effort, txAMQP,
which implements this within the Python 'Twisted' framework.

If you've got thoughts about this, please share! However, the answer is
not going to materialize right away... it's hectic here.

cheers,