[Xorp-hackers] hello

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Thu Jun 18 06:17:59 PDT 2009

Bruce Simpson wrote:
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> Welcome to the list...
>
> Jonathan Creasy wrote:
>
>> Not having read any archives, I have no idea if anything like this has
>> been brought up. I have been kicking around a project of a load
>> balancer with good SIP support and also a "router like" interface for
>> a SIP proxy like Kamailio. Your architecture looks like adding a
>> module, or process, to handle modifying the configuration and
>> operation of a Kamailio process running on a box along side Xorp would
>> be a pretty elegant way to do that.
>>

> VRRP was added in the 1.6 community release, that should help with the
> load balancing story we hope...
>
> There is no reason why the XORP code base couldn't support VOIP as an
> application, but, the framework probably needs more thought, see below.
>

>> Is there interest in adding such functionality to your system? I'm not
>> sure I'm up for the task (I'm a weak C++ programmer) but myself and a
>> couple of other guys might be interested in taking on that as a
>> project but I just thought I'd query this group and introduce myself
>> first.
>>

> I'm kicking about some ideas about how to improve the XORP situation
> with regards to software componentry right now with JT Conklin.
>
> One of the major limitations of XRL is that it's tied to the XORP code
> base, and tied to C++ because of how event callbacks work.
>
> So we are evaluating new ideas, i.e. Facebook Thrift, AMQP, and CORBA.
> Component messages are also perhaps not the right IPC mechanism in all
> situations, particularly where massive amounts of structured data are
> involved -- i.e. a full BGP routing table.

Please don't add something that is even more bloated and cumbersome than
XRL!   It's easy to wrap c code in c++, and that
seems to be enough code language support to me (I like Java, but no
reason to write router code in java
when the project already supports C++).

As for SIP, why would you want to tie sip into xorp anyway?  Seems you
could run an external sip
proxy beside xorp if you wanted?