[Xorp-hackers] hello

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Thu Jun 18 11:55:30 PDT 2009

Hi Ben,

Ben Greear wrote:
> Please don't add something that is even more bloated and cumbersome
> than XRL!   It's easy to wrap c code in c++, and that
> seems to be enough code language support to me (I like Java, but no
> reason to write router code in java
> when the project already supports C++).

This is why Thrift+AMQP is going to get a lot of sweet personal
attention from me.
I'm not so sure CORBA is the right way to go, but it has its appeal for
some.

I think improvements in the componentry are needed. XRL has known
limitations. Wielding C++ *is* a professional speciality -- and it's
unreasonable to expect everyone to do it, when protocols can be realized
in languages which are easier to pick up and use.

Using Java is not my intention, but if someone else wants to, why not?
There are some very low footprint Java VMs out there.

> As for SIP, why would you want to tie sip into xorp anyway?  Seems you
> could run an external sip
> proxy beside xorp if you wanted?

I'm excited by the possibility of XORP becoming a platform for VoIP
applications. There are certainly cases for it out there.

thanks,