[Xorp-hackers] hello

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Fri Jun 19 02:04:28 PDT 2009

Jonathan Creasy wrote:
> I'm probably showing some naivety here as I don't know what Thrift+AMQP
> are other than what a 10 second google search revealed.

Thrift is what Facebook did instead of CORBA (object RPC mechanism).
AMQP is a messaging protocol.

The two together can scale RPC across large and/or dense and/or highly
distributed service clusters.
This is compelling for XORP's use in network simulation and virtualization.

Thrift's efficiency is competitive against Google's 'Protocol Buffers'.
Its attraction comes from having stronger language binding / IDL support.

> I could connect to the named pipe and send a "REGISTER" command which
> would allow me to announce my applications presence. I could then send a
> "CONFIG" command which would include all of the commands that I have
> available to be called and what events should be sent to me when those
> commands are entered. My application could then sit and wait for events
> to be sent and process them appropriately. There could be some standard
> events which would cause an application to dump properly formatted
> status data. In a VOIP context I might be returning the list of
> available call routes for the LCR module in Kamailio.

Protocol events might want a more standardized mechanism. I'll dig up
what I wrote up for XORP, Inc. last year.

> Just some thoughts, it may be outside the scope of your project and too
> much of a detour from network routing but call routing can be dealt with
> quite similarly.

You'd be surprised the places where 'hunt groups' and 'LCR' are needed
in an Internet architecture, but aren't readily available realized
concepts... telecomms background is very useful indeed, even if you
might have gotten it infiltrating an Ericsson AXE-10 during your teenage
years.

cheers