[Xorp-hackers] XORP 1.7 status

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Mon Nov 2 10:49:32 PST 2009

Hi all,

    A few words on how a XORP 1.7 release could be pushed out.

     It's likely that I will break the Thrift work up further, because a
XORP 1.7-RC is overdue. It's also likely that the RC would be limited to
only required bug fix and infrastructure work, and no new functionality
would be planned.

    Please understand that I am oversubscribed :-) I am currently the
only active developer on the community branch, apart from JT Conklin,
who is occasionally active on the SCons and build engineering parts of
the branch.

    Where we have volunteers to test RCs and offer help with
integration, that process is likely to get much easier, and produce a
1.7 milestone release more quickly.

    So it's very likely I will push back on patches in the interim. The
1.7-RC would involve shipping at least a source code tarball, and USB
memory stick build. Patches and bug reports stand more chance of acted
upon quickly, if they follow house code style, include test cases (and
preferably logs of reproduction), and have a Trac ticket open for them.

    We understand the LiveCD is popular with folk who are building test
network configurations e.g. in VMware or similar virtualization
environments. A show of hands on this would be great.

    It currently involves a small amount of manual patching of a FreeBSD
7.2-STABLE tree to put the LiveCD together [1]. There is a documented
procedure for this; although, if any of the trees involved are in flux,
this can be tedious to deal with.

    What I'm likely to do, is to call a freeze if/when we've reached
consensus about the tree being ready for 1.7, a LiveCD snap being
desirable, and it will require testing before we raise the release flag.

thanks,
BMS

[1]    One of the things I've been trying to do, as time goes on, is
push generic code back to the upstream project(s) where it really
belongs, or where we've derived from. The FreeBSD based LiveCD
generation is one such piece of work. I've had a little discussion with
phk@ about it, but didn't reach agreement about the way forward for that
work. I hope other FreeBSD developers can pitch in on that; there's been
some interest about it, as it would just make everyone's lives that
little bit easier.