[Xorp-hackers] Linux LiveCD?

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Fri Nov 6 05:34:43 PST 2009

Ben,

We'd be very interested in this here; if you could post pointers, that
would be a great starting point for a lot of folk.

Ben Greear wrote:

> Our Ubuntu-based 9.10 live-cd has Xorp on it (as well as our LANforge
> product and some other things).  But, one could simply ignore our
> stuff and run xorp from the command line...
>
> It's currently behind a password (freely given upon registration).  I'll
> think about making it directly downloadable...

I believe Ubuntu is shipping a CD creation tool of some kind, is this
something which you use to roll your CDs?

I guess what I'm getting at is that it would be great to have a
reproducible build that can exist as part of the XORP tree, which folk
can check out and recreate on their own.

Similar to what we currently have with NanoBSD; it can be built
completely from source, up to the point where the XORP package actually
has to be created and pushed into the new system image. It might even be
interesting to get shipped in pfSense.

Mind you, I know the situation with reproducible, small Linux builds is
not that great.

I did do a port of NanoBSD to Gentoo Linux as a direct result of this. I
sent this to some Gentoo developers, but got no response. Mostly I did
this so I could shrinkwrap Linux for testing purposes in virtual
machines, so it was very minimalist.

thanks,