[Xorp-hackers] ProtoUnit: protocol framework

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Mon Nov 9 06:19:04 PST 2009

Hi all,

This is just to bring your attention to the ProtoUnit framework, within
libproto.

It looks as though some of the work here is unfinished, in the sense
that whilst the all of the multicast control plane components (PIM, IGMP
and MLD) use it, it seems as though it was intended for use across the tree.

I'm not going to recommend at this point that we try to finish this
work. Rather, I just wanted to draw it to people's attention, as it is
probably a useful building block for new protocols.

Also, if anyone is following up on XRL, the class names used within the
Finder namespace are passed to the XrlRouter constructor. Most consumers
of XrlRouter don't instantiate it directly; rather, they use the
XrlStdRouter convenience interface, which has defaults for the Finder's
transport address. [1]

For the multicast components, the XRL class name comes from a table in
libproto/proto_unit.cc.

cheers,
BMS

[1] P.S. Ben: I'd be interested to know how you deal with the Finder
namespace within your virtualization changes. Are you running a new set
of XORP processes for each virtualized router, or sharing state within
the existing processes -- or am I missing something?