[Xorp-hackers] More build fuzz. -O1.

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Thu Nov 26 13:08:26 PST 2009

I notice we aren't even building with -O1 in the default case.

This is probably the suck for template expansions, although I haven't
measured the gristle.
A simple std::vector<uint8_t> example does generate a lot of gristle, I
speculate we probably see the same in most builds.

Given that we're usually building shared libraries, we probably want to
combine template expansions as much as possible.

I noticed this week also that the FreeBSD base g++ doesn't install with
collect2 by default. Normally, this means faster linking, but it does
break -frepo, which can be used to control template expansion a fair
bit; it normally relies on the .gnu.linkonce* and section-per-function
behaviour of the linker on that system.

Just a thought. I'm paying attention to size, because of the patches I
posted for Thrift this week, and I was very careful to benchmark the
size of my proposed additions to their library.

cheers,