[Xorp-hackers] PATCH: Add startup methods for faster startup.

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Tue Oct 6 04:50:57 PDT 2009

Ben Greear wrote:
> If there is no status and no startup method in a xorp target, the
> router-mgr uses a 2-second
> sleep for 'verification'.  This slows down startup of Xorp quite a bit
> when you have lots
> of protocols running.
>
> This patch adds startup methods to many of the common targets.  There
> are still more to
> go, however.

Thanks for tracking this down; yes, I've noticed that process startup is
slower than it could be, but have only had free time / mindspace to look
at the XRL specifics.

    Could this be made a more general change? If the XIF method for
startup you are adding is not specific to a particular protocol, it
might be an idea to make it part of the common.xif -- which is where
most of the process control knobs are.
    I'd rather not get too far into the machinery here, because I'm
about to take a badly needed break. I guess the firewall and ifmgr
modules are a special case, because they're separate service bundles
located in the FEA process.

On a more general note:
    One of the things Pavlin raised in an old BugZilla ticket, is the
fact that the Router Manager is fairly complex because it implements
transactions on the config tree itself.
    If this is pushed into the protocols themselves (they'd have to keep
their own config snapshot, and adopt a commit-rollback transaction model
in the XIF RPC interfaces), then the Router Manager gets a bit simpler
overall.

cheers,