[Xorp-hackers] Pending SCons configure change

J.T. Conklin jtc at acorntoolworks.com
Fri Oct 9 19:15:50 PDT 2009

Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com> writes:
> This all sounds fine to me.  One small gripe about scons in general:
>
> I liked the old ./configure method because you figured out your
> configuration once, and then all you had to do was type 'make'
> and not remember all of your options each build.
>
> I wonder if you could set up scons to do something like:
>
> scons config foo=bar blah=baz ...
>
> This would write out a small config file with the supplied
> options.
>
> Then, when you run 'scons', it would read the config file
> if exists and use that configuration.

Hi Ben,

SCons has the ability to cache command line variables that are set via
Variables().  Unfortunately, we are still using the older ARGUMENTS
array for most, including the new host= and build= variables I'll be
introducing in my upcoming patch.

There's still cleanup that must be done first, but I hope to convert
command line variable processing to use Variables() relatively soon.
When done, I'll definitely be adding code to cache variables between
scons invocations.

    --jtc

--
J.T. Conklin