[Xorp-hackers] static xrl interface calls

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Tue Oct 13 11:51:49 PDT 2009

On 10/13/2009 11:37 AM, Li Zhao wrote:

> I am studying the code so I have not coded anything. What I am working on is to write a control plane process which will add and delete some special static routes. These static routes can be redistributed by ospf etc. The the new daemon will use the xrl interface calls. I do not want this process talk to rtrmgr because the config tree structure is adding unnecessary complixity. This new process can be started by rtrmgr when rtrmgr starts. Then I want this new process update the static routes directly to xorp_static_routes. Then the problem is how to start xorp_static_routes and its depending processes like fea/fib/policy and make them working properly with xrl finder. This is a really a pain for me because I have just started to learn xorp for a few weeks.

Can you just have the control plane process call xorpsh to have it update
routes in the existing static-routes logic?  I've used xorpsh in similar manner
to update IPs, interfaces, etc and it has worked reasonably well (after I fixed
a lot of bugs with dynamic interfaces!)

> I am thinking if there is a simple API by which a process other than xorpsh can ask rtrmgr to start static_routes.
>
> Another problem. Commit is taking awkawrdly long time.

I fixed the commit problem in my tree:

http://www.candelatech.com/oss/xorp-ct.html

I get commit times of about 0.10 to 0.20 seconds now (counting launching xorpsh).