[Xorp-hackers] Omitting XrlDB from Router Manager

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Sat Oct 31 09:53:53 PDT 2009

Ben Greear wrote:

>> * The rtrmgr/xrldb.cc is the only place in the whole system where the
>> '*.xrls' files are parsed and used. They are used only to validate
>> the syntax and structure of potential XRL method calls.
>> * It would mean that there is no up-front validation of the XRLs, but
>> in practice, this validation step is probably only of interest to
>> people developing XORP, to catch problems with template files.
>> * It's probably best folded under a compile-time #define for
>> developer use.
>
> Something like the attached patch?

Great stuff :-) Does it work for you? Have you seen any measurable
increase in performance for production systems?

I have actually chopped the entire Router Manager from my dev branch.
There are parts of libxipc which are neither used or needed by anything
but the Finder or Router Manager, and aren't essential for knitting
processes together. I'll be merging it back on a piecemeal basis once
I've actually got Thrift protocol working.