[Xorp-hackers] Omitting XrlDB from Router Manager

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Sat Oct 31 15:51:52 PDT 2009

Bruce Simpson wrote:
> Ben Greear wrote:
>>>
>>> * The rtrmgr/xrldb.cc is the only place in the whole system where
>>> the '*.xrls' files are parsed and used. They are used only to
>>> validate the syntax and structure of potential XRL method calls.
>>> * It would mean that there is no up-front validation of the XRLs,
>>> but in practice, this validation step is probably only of interest
>>> to people developing XORP, to catch problems with template files.
>>> * It's probably best folded under a compile-time #define for
>>> developer use.
>>
>> Something like the attached patch?
>
> Great stuff :-) Does it work for you? Have you seen any measurable
> increase in performance for production systems?
>
> I have actually chopped the entire Router Manager from my dev branch.
> There are parts of libxipc which are neither used or needed by
> anything but the Finder or Router Manager, and aren't essential for
> knitting processes together. I'll be merging it back on a piecemeal
> basis once I've actually got Thrift protocol working.
It can't hurt, but I didn't do any performance tests specifically for
this change.  It does seem to function fine,
however.

My bigger problem is an N^2 problem with routes and number of routers
(with 100 routers, and 300 routes each,
I get extreme numbers of netlink route update messages on each router.
I'm patching the kernel to allow netlink to bind to
a particular routing table, so I should get rid of all the un-needed
route updates for other routers' tables.  Hope to test
this in a day or two.

Do you have an estimate for when you plan to post your changes?