[Xorp-hackers] Patch to FEA to support multiple xorp instances on Linux.

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Tue Sep 1 10:54:14 PDT 2009

Bruce Simpson wrote:

> * The method to leave all multicast groups on a link, in the FEA, is a
> useful addition.
>
> * Can you elaborate further on the nature of the race conditions you
> seem to be experiencing with the FEA on Linux (based on your code
> comments) ?
I've posted this years ago in far more detail:

Basically, interfaces can dissappear at any time.  So, no code should
panic if the interface suddenly
disappears.  I've posted specific scenarios years ago, but the main
truth is just that you can't depend
on interfaces existing at any particular moment so any assert or logic
based on that false assumption is a bug.

> I appreciate this may be frustrating, given you have clearly put a lot
> of hard work into your changes, but I need to ensure that any patch
> which makes such wide-ranging changes to the system, preserves code
> style, portability, and correctness.
Maybe you can take what parts you consider an improvement.  I'll merge
with the results and try to re-work specific portions
to meet your suggestions if that seems possible, send a new patch, etc.

The upstream code branch has been virtually frozen for years.  I think
if my changes are to be merged, we should merge
them all (or at least most), and then start hacking on them to fix style
issues, etc.  Let other people merge their changes
too.  Then we will have a potentially un-stable build, but everyone will
be testing & developing on the same code
base.  I *can* promise to work very hard to fix any issues that result
from my patches, and I can do some heavy regression
testing on Linux using virtual networks (including dynamic ones) with up
to around 50 xorp instances communicating with each
other.

I cannot do testing or development on other platforms at this time.

If you do not want to merge thus, I understand..but in that case I
believe I'll just continue to use my existing code
fork.  I just don't have time or interest in doing all the heavy lifting
to break up these patches.